Saturday, March 10, 2007

Grading makes me want to vomit.

I used to think that there could be nothing more psychosis-inducing than writing papers, but I've discovered over the last few years that I was wrong. Grading papers is far, far worse.

There's so many of them. And they're all so bad. Well, not ALL of them are bad, but most of them are. And it takes forever. And I just know that no one will bother to read the comments I've spent days laboring over. And of course I've procrastinated, leaving most of the papers until the end of spring break, making the whole situation even worse.

I'm having an existential crisis over it. I know, I know: I practically have an existential crisis every day. But this one is particularly shameful and adolescent.

I considered paying someone to grade the papers for me, but unfortunately I would fail my students if they paid someone to WRITE their papers, so I feel morally obliged to do the work myself.

Why God why.

Now I have to go grade some more, meanwhile choking back my lunch. Seriously, make it stop.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

i guess i am lucky: i only have existential crises fortnightly. I can't imagine having one daily.

but for you paper grading, why not invent a game. like pick a random word from the dictionary (say, i don't know, "ululate") and then you have to use it in a comment on at least one of the papers.