Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Lost in Translation.

What's left to do the last week of a cold and dismal February (which also happens to be the week before Spring Break at DU)? Find humor in situations that others will NOT find funny when you try to relate them later. Here are three things that were HILARIOUS to me this past week, but a lot less humorous in the telling:

1. Last Wednesday, I was trying to teach two poems by Robert Browning to a class of 18 freshmen, and they were SO not getting them. When I came back from my 11 am class, I was discussing the situation with a few other adjuncts, and it somehow became this elaborate joke that involved...snakes and vaginas. Um, I really have no idea how it happened, but we were all laughing hard enough that our sides hurt. The next day, one of them, Craig, told me that he had been working out that afternoon and suddenly was overcome with the humor of the situation. Another, Benji, told me that she tried to relate the joke to her husband, but it just didn't translate. And so, I'm not going to even try to explain it all now--just know that the joke, odd as it was, offered a few good moments during bad days.

2. On Friday, Mike and I were reading an aquaintance's blog, and discovered a link to a site devoted to science-nerd haikus. And on that site, we found this work of genius:

"E Coli in My Butt"
I learnt this today:
There's e coli in my butt
Also in my gut

--Henry James

I probably laughed about this for two-three days straight. Why? I'm not really sure. But the fact that the author attributed it to Henry James makes it even funnier.

3. Immediately after Martin Scorsese won his much-deserved Oscar, "The Departed" also won Best Picture. Martin had already left the stage, but a camera followed him as he learned the news. And because he is a nervous little man, he hurried back to the stage. At this point, the camera cut to a brief shot of him pointing and yelling (nobody could really tell at what or whom), and I lost it. I probably laughed for about ten minutes, which was uncomfortable, because everyone else we were watching the Oscars with had stopped laughing long before. Again, I had no idea why it was THAT funny to me, but later Mike reminded me that I've been surrounded by tiny, nervous Italian men my entire life. I guess that'll do it.

No comments: